Donald Maclean is a Scottish artist born in 1962, living and working in North Ayrshire. After obtaining his Bachelor's Degree at Glasgow School of Art, Maclean went on to study a Postgraduate Diploma in Theatre Design at University College Cardiff. After a 20 year career in the arts as a scenic artist and costume designer with several Scottish theatre companies including the Traverse Theatre, The Citizen’s Theatre, Tron Theatre, Scottish Opera and Scottish Ballet, Maclean has returned to his fine art roots and now concentrates on his painting practice.
Searching for abstract qualities in everyday objects, Maclean’s use of saturated colour, bold composition and clever use of negative space breathes new life and energy into these often overlooked domestic subjects. Adopting a graphic approach to his painting, Maclean draws our attention to large blocks of flat colour, geometric pattern and negative space. His paintings blend manmade structures with the organic rhythmic folds of plant life, using the bold highlights and deep shadows to convey an overpowering symphony of shapes.
MacLean's work has been exhibited widely in exhibitions and at UK art fairs. His work is highly admired by collectors and designers around the UK.
- New arrivalMaranta Tricolour
- New arrivalMaranta, Grid Pot
- New arrivalCalathea- Roseopicta
- New arrivalOxalis, Blues Greens and Magentas
- New arrivalMonstera-Deliciosa, Isometric
- New arrivalPink Table Arrangement
- New arrivalBig Green Leaf
- Sold'Maranta, Red Pot' by Donald MacLean
- Sold'Calathea, Yellow Pot' by Donald MacLean
- Sold'Big Calathea' by Donald MacLean
- 'Big Aloe' by Donald MacLean
- Sold'Begonia Maculata' by Donald MacLean
- 'Begonia, 3 Pots Pink and Grey' by Donald MacLean